View Single Post

Old 04-15-2012, 12:52 AM

Liked 141 Times in 65 Posts
Default A .44 magnum S&W 1917?

I'm pretty good at working on guns, but am not a S&W expert by any means. So I thought I'd ask for thoughts here.

What I would like to do is put together a .44 mag version of a S&W 1917.

In looking into that I have seen that my resources for acquiring N frames are limited. Haven't been able to find just the N frame either with or without internals. Since I don't want adjustable sights, my options are even more limited. Thus far I have found that the only fixed sight N frames are either already 1917 N frames (can't find those), 38-45 "heavy duty" N frames (can't find those) or model 58 (.41 mag) N frames and can't find those either.

Doesn't seem to be any fixed sight N frames (just the frames either with or without internal lockworks, I don't want an entire revolver, just the frame) out there. At least none that I could find. Could use some help finding one.

Anyway....Once a fixed sight N frame (hopefully with lock internals but without the barrel, yoke and cylinder) was acquired, I was wondering if I could put a 5 & 1/2 inch .44 special tapered (pencil) barrel on it that has the same half moon front sight as the 1917. Do all N frames have the same barrel threads?

Then I was thinking of getting a .44 mag yoke and cylinder. Would that .44 mag cylinder and yoke fit into any N frame? I also wanted to use the 1917 extractor rod with the big end on it. (That's one thing I don't like about the S&W heritage models, they don't use the same big end extractor rod.) To finish it off, I'd put aftermarket round top 1917 grips on it.

Then I'd have a .44 mag that looked like a clone of a 1917 which is my absolute favorite style revolver. I own a fine commercial .45 acp 1917 already. Now I'd like to put together one in 44 mag. I have a mill and lathe and tools to do the job. Just need to know if it's possible and where to get the frame. All the other stuff I can find. Already have found many .44 mag yokes and cylinders as well as the 1917 big end ejector rod. Haven't searched for a 5 & 1/2 inch .44 special barrel yet, but I'm sure I could probably find one.

To preempt the questions of "Why?", it's because I want a 1917 looking clone in .44 mag.

A little help with your thoughts and expertise?

Thanks.

Last edited by Bill_in_fl; 04-15-2012 at 01:06 AM.