View Single Post

Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 AM

Liked 469 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M. Eick View Post
I was working on the bench yesterday and noticed that most of my powders that I am using are older. You know the "classics". Bullseye, Unique, 2400 etc. The ones I am burning off and not replacing are the newer powders. Lil-gun, Longshot, etc.

I was seeing that my newest powder I really like is Powder Pistol but it gives some wild flame balls when fired in overcast conditions or early evening. That is behavior that is making me rethink its use.

So I am loading the classics. Bullseye, unique, 2400, the dot powders (Blue, Red and Green), SR4756, and IMR 4227 for revolver, shotgun and most pistol with lead bullets. I am using a bit of Powder Pistol for 9mm, 40 and 10mm.

I have now basically given up on most of the newer "niche" powders like Lil-gun, Longshot, accucomp etc. I just don't see they do that much better than the older ones.

What are you guys doing? "Classics" vs. "Modern"???

Also what is your justification? I am just curious if I am becoming a curmudgeon.
Newer is much better. The old saying "if aint broke, don't fix it" is a bunch of hooey. Continuous improvement requires change, and change is good. There are much better powders than the 1st 3 you mentioned. If you choose to use them, fine. But never claim they are "better", because they're not. Times have changed.