View Single Post

Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,149 Times in 4,811 Posts

Good luck trying to duplicate the best .38 wadcutter factory loads. I don't think anyone knows how to do that.

Over the years, I have tried all sorts of powders in my 52 and listened to and read what others had to say. There have been some interesting theories from time to time (like the one that held that 52s did better with slower burning powders) but none of them ever seem to catch on and the old standby loads with Bullseye, 700X and, to a lesser extent, 231, seem to prevail.

I believe the targets shown are just scratching the surface of what your 52 is really capable of, and would hazard the guess that ANY load which is successful in your 52 will also be just fine in your revolvers. That's always been the case for me.

I would at least try to keep the handloads close to the same velocity as factory ammunition, or just a bit slower - but not too much slower. I have seen shooters using loads in their 52s that would not even come close to cracking 700 FPS. Results always seem to suffer accordingly. In my view, that has to serve to compound follow through problems. Note though that that is a shooting problem, not an ammunition problem. There is a difference.