View Single Post

Old 04-22-2012, 04:36 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,604 Times in 2,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyraider View Post
My wife is only 5 feet tall and has very small hands. We're looking for a medium frame round butt gun she can shoot and even carry some. J frame guns fit her hand well, but they're just not that much fun for her to shoot due to the small mass of the gun and the resulting recoil. I confess, the only J frame we've shot was a scandium frame S&W, but even a steel J frame snubbie is a tiny gun.

One of the pre 1980 K frame snubbies would be ideal (I think)--a M10 or a M64. We own several square butt K frames, I've never seen or held a round butt K frame. Are the round butts noticeably smaller than the square butts?
Yes. Don't forget that even for small hands, stock S&W grips are usually nonfunctional, but are easily corrected with a grip adapter. Another poster mentioned Pachmayr Compac Professionals ("Professional" is Pachmayr for "uncovered backstrap"), which are often an excellent choice. I wouldn't rule out a steel J-frame revolver, either, including possibly a square butt. A steel J frame is NOT a tiny gun in my hand, and it may not be in your wife's hand, either.

Best thing would be to try a gun in her hand with the right grips, either at the range, where she can actually shoot it, or at a local gun store, where there may be a larger selection of grips.