View Single Post

Old 04-24-2012, 12:36 PM

Liked 141 Times in 65 Posts
Default Cyrogenic treatment for a 1917 N frame to .44 mag specs?

The consensus is that using an N frame from a S&W 1917 is ill advised for converting the 1917 to .44 magnum because it wasn't heat treated for those pressures. I understand that.

Which brings me to this question. What about cyrogenic treating of the frame? Would that work to do the same thing as properly heat treating an N frame for .44 magnum pressures?

I have a good friend who has a friend who does that cyrogenic receiver treating. My friend dipped several Chinese M1a receivers using that cyrogenic method (liquid nitrogen?) so that they would be up to U.S. military spec hardness. (Although I have a Chinese M1a that hasn't been treated like that and I have no problems with thousands of rounds fired).

I probably would have to ask S&W what their .44 magnum frame heat treating hardness is to know what to replicate using the cyrogenic treatment. But my question is, do any of you know about this kind of cyrogenic metal hardening treatment that basically does the same as heat treating and does anyone here know if it would work to bring a S&W 1917 frame up to .44 magnum hardness/heat treating specs?