Thread: aluminum 15-22?
View Single Post

Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Liked 241 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsha22lr View Post
ive just been thinking about the idea of an aluminum 15-22. As alot of you know the cool thing about the 15-22 is the fact its polymer and lightwieght. From where I am standing, a aluminum .22 rifle, or at least the upper, would contribute to better accuracy. any body else ever thought of this?

Morning jsha22lr

Yes, I have thought about it many times. Either a full aluminum upper or at least adding alloy reinforcements to the polymer in the barrel mounting area & from barrel mounting to scope rail & back along the sides to the attaching pin areas. Anything to stiffen up that very soft & compliant upper & keep it from deflecting.

No doubt that stiffening the upper between barrel mounting to scope mounting rail would go along ways towards improving inherent accuracy.

If nothing else just get the scope to mount directly to the barrel rather than having the barrel mount to the soft plastic upper in the front then have the scope mount to remote soft compliant plastic up top.
As it is now the barrel can deflect one way while the scope can (easily) deflect another way.

In fact I'm bettering that over time & complaints S&W will eventually add some inner reinforcement to the upper to stiffen it a bit (we'll just have to wait & see if they address the basic compliancy issue).