View Single Post

Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I retired from a city police dept. 9 years ago, after 27 yrs. of service, but am (and have been a police officer with a state university since retiring). I qualify every year from my former dept., and they issue us an ID card with photo, and it states retired police officer, along with the notation that I quailifed per their standards, and meet the requirements of HR 218 (LEOSA). I also have active police ID from the state university p.d. I currently work for. That being said, as of this date, 04/26/12, the LEOSA act of 2004 , as amended in 2010, allows active & retired officers to carry a handgun withour limiting the capacity of ammunition in a pistol , and an officer CAN carry hollowpoint bullets anywhere in the country ( including NJ) at this time. The ONLY weapons not allowed are those restricted under the NFA (National FIrearms Act 1935), meaning fully automatic weapons, or 'sawed-off' shotguns. The language in the LEOSA is clear, and although their are always going to be police officers and prosecutors who are unclear on the law, we are covered from prosecution, as long as you abide by LEOSA wording. I have, and I would advise, both active and retired LEO's who do carry, to obtain personal liability insurance, just in case you ever use your weapon in a state other than your home state. My dept. is responsible for my coverage here in Indiana, but once I go out of state I'm 'on my own' as far as any type of civil litigation. Thanks for letting me ramble on and on. By the way, in my 36 years as a sworn LEO, even prior to LEOSA, I and my fellow officers NEVER arrested another LEO from ANY jurisdiction, who was carrying and NOT acting like a complete idiot!! Even then, we would remove their firearm, until they sobered up, or started acting like a professional LEO, and then would return it to them, without jamming them up!!