View Single Post

Old 04-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Liked 13,665 Times in 5,175 Posts

My shotgun for things that go bump in the night is Mossberg 590 12 gauge 9 shot. It has a full butt stock but is still short enough to go in tight places. It’s a heck of a lot easier to control/use than a pistol grip only (at least in 12 gauge)

IMNSHO the only 2 reasons for a defense pistol grip only shot gun is IT LOOKS MENACING, It’s easier to conceal. Yes I have fired many of them and they do not impress me one iota...

I have also owned a few 870s and while a good gun keep the Mossie close! I’m also not a proponent of the shuck shuck noise is going to make a criminal wet his pants when he hears it. Gun is totally ready to go bang.

My 590 is loaded to fire 5 00 buck followed by 4 slugs with more of both available. The reason for my load out is I live in the woods, over penetration or kids is not a concern and could easily have a bear or other animal problem along with predatory humans. I also have no cell service available and cops are hardly out here. If I have to make a call (assuming my LL phone works) it could easily be 20 minutes or more.

Now if a prison break or similar event was going on I would have a AR clone or 2 with Hicap mag/s handy also