View Single Post

Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 8,976 Times in 3,562 Posts

As others have already stated, without target sights and shooting the more powerful .38 S&W Special, what your friend has is a pre model 36 or Chief Special. Not to be confused with the recent Chief Special models that are I believe semi automatics. Several model names of the older S&W's have been recycled like the Chief Special and the Lady Smith. This would have never happened during the Wesson family ownership.

The original J frame that was built at the request of then president Carl Hellstrom, was a stretched out version of the I or improved I frame. Since the .38 S&W special cartridge was longer than the .38 S&W or the .32's of the era, the factory modeled the J frame after the I frames however, with a longer cylinder window. The butt was still the size of the I frame as was the trigger guard. These were later also enlarged to allow better handling of this small gun with the more powerful cartridge. This group of early J frame Chief Specials are referred to as the "Baby Chief" and IIRC run into the 20,000 serial range but I am not certain of that.
These guns will also have a round blade front sight as opposd to the later ramp style.

The last one that I bought was a couple years ago and I paid $600 with the holster and Chief's badge. Serial range was in the low 20,000's. Hope that helps.
LM #497