View Single Post

Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Liked 385 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_12 View Post
I bought a 5906 in Jan 1993 straight from factory, came with one magazine, pre-ban. Love this firearm - I was in the Army when I got it, and had no place to store it when I went overseas to Korea, so I had it added to my orders so I could carry it as my side-arm while there. I loved carrying her as a sidearm in the field, but she's a bit "thick" to carry concealed, imo.

I've put tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands of rounds through her the past 19 years, cleaning meticulously after each firing, and light oil on the action/rails and recoil spring once a month whether fired or not, and the only time I have issues with jams are with cheap ammo or reloads.

Is it possible the 3-point jams come from a messed-up spring in the magazine? Sometimes the mags get stored with rounds in them for years at a time (sitting in someone's nightstand or glovebox untouched), and form a "spring-memory". Just a guess, but it may save some $$ if you try a "new" mag before shipping her back to the factory.

Either way, enjoy the 5906...she's a workhorse, and an under-rated one at that!
On my 5906, the magazine was replaced with a brand new one, and the recoil spring was changed out. Still three point jammed 3 times out of 73 rounds fired.

I have no way to confirm this, but I would bet the previous users did "Lethal Weapon" tactic of sticking a round in the pipe and sending the slide forward on the chambered case. Thus, damaging the extractor over time to the point it starts failing. Nothing against the old gun, its made out of metal and parts like everything else, and is thus not infallible.