View Single Post

Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailer View Post
A .22 is definitely sub-optimal, but one could argue that about any handgun caliber. I often carry a NAA Black Widow in .22 Magnum in my pocket, but I sincerely hope that if I ever run into someone who intends to do me grievous harm I have something more potent at hand.

Rimfire ammo isn't as reliable as centerfire, so I'd definitely go with a revolver, and I'd want as many shots as possible. Given that, I'd vote for a 10-shot Model 617. If I wanted to carry concealed, I'd grab one of the 8-shot 3" Model 63s when they finally appear.

Would either be *good*? No. But, as others have said, either would be better than nothing at all.

EDIT: I just realized you said .22 *caliber*; if you include magnums in the equation I'd change my vote to the 351PD. A .22 WMR fired from a short barrel is *loud*; it might be enough to make the bad guy change his mind even if the bullet headed his way doesn't.
I agree with you that a 22WMR ammo is certainly better than the 22LR. I am very interested in this round myself for hunting.
I also agree that, in general, 22LR ammo is not as reliable as a centerfire round unless you buy the top-shelf premium ammo. And, you should be carrying the expensive stuffs if you are using it for CCW anyway.

Having said all these, please remember that the 22LR was used to assassinate Senator Robert Kennedy. This highly publicized event clearly indicated that if the target is unaware of your presence (cooperating), your round placement can and will kill any homo sapien. But, again, there is a lot of "if" and "but" about a cooperating target presenting an opportunity and those are usually few or none in a CCW encounter.

Last edited by Arthury; 05-01-2012 at 09:27 AM.