View Single Post

Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Banned

Liked 388 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Get that cool N frame Model 29. Then sit down and rewatch " Dirty Harry "...... when you go to the range shoot 44 Specials.
That's probably about the worst advice one could give to someone looking for a first revolver. Although you may very well be saying that tongue in cheek.

To the OP's post:

Quote:
$330 S&W 65 stainless Oklahoma state Police.
Not a bad price for a model 65, let alone an ex-cop gun, which have some intrinsic collectible value to some people. Unless it's mechanically or cosmetically flawed, I would jump on that. You mention you dont like fixed sights. I can respect that, I am kind of the same way. But you could do a lot worse than this gun for this price.

Quote:
$450 S&W 686 (dont think it has a lock)
Excellent gun. Good Price too. Jump on this, assuming it's not a trashed gun.

Quote:
$599 S&W 29 blued with 8 3/8 barrel. Clearly not a ccw gun but sooo awesome looking and feeling.
Slow down there Dirty Harry... you dont want this for your first revolver.

Buy the 686, start with 38 specials, eventually try some 125 grain hollow point 357 magnum's in it, then if you can handle that, maybe consider a 44 magnum down the road.

Above and beyond the (im)practicality of a 44 mag, it's an expensive gun to shoot. The lighter 44 special loads are even MORE expensive than the magnums because it's pretty much a dead caliber outside of people who frequent this forum or people who have not discovered the internet.

You also dont say what barrel length these are, the 65 is most likely a 4", because that's what like 99% of them are, but what about the 686? The 4" will be a more maneuverable and concealable gun than a 6". But the 6" will shoot better.
The Following User Likes This Post: