View Single Post

Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

I am not going to donate guns to any museum for a number of reasons. First my wife will need any money she can get out of them. Not two days ago I wrote this on another thread here.
Back in the 50`s when I was a teenager the oshkosh wisconsin city museum had his revolver on display. The story given back then was it was taken off probley younger when the group got off a train with their horse`s. It was taken off the man on a vagrancy charge. A few days later after the northfield raid the police chief or whoever else looked in the flap of the holster to find, "from maj. quantrell to c. younger. Also on a stock is carved "CY". I belive the police chiefs daughter later donated the gun to the museum.
I belive the gang rode the train and shipped their horses north, got off at oshkosh and then rode their horse`s west to northfield minnesota. I checked out that revolver a number of times in the 50`s.
About 2,000 I went home and to the museum to see it again. It was gone. I asked the young currater about it and he knew nothing of the revolver and just shrugged his shoulders and said maybe it`s in storage. He even seemed disinterested. A old secatary overheard our conversation and said "I remember that gun!" She said we used to have a postcard of it that we sold in the gift shop. I got her to check storage and she found me a card. (I have been looking for it and misplaced it myself).
The museum had a fire back in 1994. Some things were destroyed. They had recently reopened it when I questioned the young new currater.
I have googeld the gun and found this on it: http://www.oshkoshmuseum.org/Virtual/ex ... 30266a.htm
I do not trust people that well. Sure, might work a few years but over many years I aint so sure.