View Single Post

Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 AM

Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts

My oldest son gave me one of these for Christmas about 10 years ago. Best little carrying revolver I have seen yet. I shoot mostly .38 specials in it but it will digest the heaviest handloads without complaint. Like a casefull of W296 under a 125 gr. XTP in .357 cases.

It earned the name "the flame thrower" at one of our desert camps one night because of the huge fireball it throws after dark with the 296 load. The 3" barrel for me is much easier to shoot with accuracy than a 2". Mine has the plain black steel sights, not those plastic ray things that belong in a duck blind.

I agree, a little locktite on the rear sight screw is a good thing. Shoots right to the POA with most 150-160 gr loads, and a little lower with the 125's. I have never had to adjust the sights.

The grips mine came with are kind of an extended boot grip. They are well designed and soak up the recoil of full bore .357 loads. Of course if you don't like the grips any of the J-frame round butt grips will fit. I would describe the recoil as brisk, but not painful. The gun rides well in a little cut-down belt holster I have, or in the inside breast pocket of a Carhartt jacket.

When the model 60 is doing house chores, it is loaded with Federal's 125 gr Nyclads, when going further afield, it is loaded with heavy handloads using Hornady's excellent XTP bullets. Most plinking is done with the RCBS 150 gr SWC.

Well, I kind of teared up when I opened the box that Christmas, so I had to give my son my much carried 2" model 36. Then he in turn a bit later returned the Colt Police Positive in .32 S&W long which I had given him several years before, which I am holding to give to my only daughter. Well it is still all in the family.

Best regards from Nevada duke