View Single Post

Old 05-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Banned

Liked 388 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischia View Post
When I hear of these "deals". I wonder several things. Is the poster crowing(lower than reality) a bit about the actual price paid. Are there really gun shops that are so out of touch with the market that they sell at 30-40% lower than the actual market value? In the computer age even.
I used to think that same thing, but after a few similar deals kind of fell into my lap recently, I have come to the realization that gun collecting is all about "right place, right time", and patience.

As far as the "computer age" comment. Some FFL's just refuse to deal with gunbroker and sell stuff online. I cant blame them.

Some gun stores and pawn shops model themselves as catering to the "bleeding edge" or market trends. Which, currently is polymer autos and "black guns" (AR's, Saiga's, etc) and to a lesser degree, the 1911 clone market. Some of these places are run more on testosterone than solid business sense, they see revolvers and all non-1911 autos made of metal as dinosaurs and dont want anything to do with them. And while they may take a model 58 for (partial) trade in on a shiny new plastic Glock 23 or SR9 or XDm or what have you JUST TO MAKE THE SALE. They can get their idea of value from the 10 year old copy of the blue book they have sitting under the counter.

They are then happy to sell the model 58 to "the old guy who comes in once every couple weeks looking for revolvers" for whatever the blue book says. Just to get it out of his case and off his books.

You would be surprised how much this happens in the industry.

Unfortunately, FFL's are becoming more educated on the subject and "meathead" FFL's who practice the business processes I previously mentioned are going out of business more and more.