View Single Post

Old 05-06-2012, 12:25 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 43 Times in 16 Posts
Smile

I am compelled to comment based upon the link early in this thread to David's great story (apparently the only kind he knows) set in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in 1988. I had not read this before, and I commend it to all who have not. Succinctly, I have all of my life been a citified desk jockey, so when a friend asked me to put in for an elk license for the '87 hunt on horseback in the Bob for 10 days with Jack Hooker's outfit out of Ovando, I was skeptical as to how I'd do, but I did it. It was a remarkable experience, and David's story brought it all back (ok, he left out the hiss of the Coleman lantern hanging in the cold tent before dawn, probably meant that for another tale). Now I am unlikely to have any more adventures like that, sitting at home needing some parts tuned up,  but I have those memories, and I wouldn't trade them for a registered magnum and a nickel Model 28. My advice: do not wait for an opportunity to experience this kind of adventure. Take the initiative and do it, you will not regret it.