View Single Post

Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,721 Times in 2,633 Posts

I understand the point about undercut vertical surfaces on target sights, and I am not about to argue with the preferences and policies of experienced bullseye shooters. But it strikes me that the modification to this front sight essentially makes a ramp out of it -- not a rejected configuration in the target shooting world.

Somewhere I recently saw a photo of a McGivern bead front sight in which the upper portion of the protruding bead had been beveled back toward the blade in which it was inserted, presumably to catch more light. I hadn't seen that before, but understood the asserted reason for the modification.

I imagine target shooters undertook a variety of sight modifications looking for an edge in competition. Some would want to lighten their front sights, others darken them. Shooting in open sun is probably different from shooting under cloud cover.

Gil, I understand your observation, but I would think simple leather preservation could be achieved with a much smaller bevel or even a bare rounding over at the top of the vertical face of a Patridge blade. A cut as pronounced as this one is would seem to me to be about accuracy, not easy extraction from a holster.