View Single Post

Old 05-06-2012, 08:30 AM

Liked 28,623 Times in 5,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfan View Post
I am compelled to comment based upon the link early in this thread to David's great story (apparently the only kind he knows) set in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in 1988. I had not read this before, and I commend it to all who have not. Succinctly, I have all of my life been a citified desk jockey, so when a friend asked me to put in for an elk license for the '87 hunt on horseback in the Bob for 10 days with Jack Hooker's outfit out of Ovando, I was skeptical as to how I'd do, but I did it. It was a remarkable experience, and David's story brought it all back (ok, he left out the hiss of the Coleman lantern hanging in the cold tent before dawn....
Springfan,

Man it's a small world...Hunted the Danaher with ol Hooker back in '87, last camp in mid November.
Jack and I skint a bull out up in middle of that meadow on Thanksgiving Day., it was 'bout 20 below.

Hell, ol Jack's got to be pushin' ninety...I was there for his 65th birthday in '87 or '88, one the other.
Still get a Christmas letter from Karen every now and again.

Bill & Jack Hooker at their Danaher Camp in mid-late 80s, I do believe.
(Jest to stay on topix...Jack's a lookin one of my .44 Specials over right there.)

I'll have look in the big picture book, but I recall have a few photos from up in that Flathead counrty.

Su Amigo,