View Single Post

Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texit View Post
Man this place feels like home.

When I first get my Sport, do I need to dissemble everything? Or just clean the chamber/bore and make sure the receiver is free of packing grease and well lubed. Also clean the bolt with CLP.

What kind of a cleaning rod do you guys use? I just bought a brand new bore snake, will that be sufficient for the first couple of outings in terms of cleaning the bore?

Is there anything else I need to look for?
Whenever I receive a new firearm or new-to-me firearm, I field strip, clean, inspect, and lube it. Because your rifle is brand new, this should be quick and easy.

Prior to hinging open the rifle, pull the charging handle to cock the hammer and engage the safety. The hammer should be back whenever you separate/re-engage the upper & lower.

Give the lower a look over. Check to make sure the springs aren't broken. Disengage the safety, put your hand over the hammer, pull the trigger and gently ride the hammer forward. You don't want it slamming into the lower receiver. Feel for any binding or dragging. Put a drop of oil on the sear. Cock the hammer & engage the safety.

Pull the BCG. Since it's brand new you could just give it a shot of CLP and be done with it. If you want, field strip the BCG. Wipe down the bolt & lube it.

I put a light coat of lube on everything but the face of the bolt.

When lubing the BCG, all you need to lube is the 4 rail areas.

Check the gas key and try to wiggle it. It should be rock solid and not wiggle.

Clean the barrel as you would any other barrel. Wipe out the upper receiver.

Go out & shoot it. While you're shooting check to see if any of the trigger group pins are walking out of the receiver. Check the stock castle nut to see if it's vibrating loose. When you clean it, inspect the charging handle and pay attention to any witness marks (where the finish is wearing off due from contact). The witness marks will show you where you need to put a little lube.

It sounds like a lot to do, but it goes real quick once you get used to it.

Last edited by JaPes; 05-06-2012 at 08:20 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: