View Single Post

Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Goony, very much appreciate your help. You are correct, the 3rd is marked "38 S&W CTG" I corrected it above.

The Navy Victory's grips are unmarked other than a pencil number (45823). But noticed while they were off some other markings on the right side of the grip frame: "Y" "4" "F" and "o". The left side had "V" and "&". There is also an "o" on the frame just below the US Navy property mark and above the grip.

I've started a search for proper finished swivels for the two that need them and a pair of proper grips for the 1943 revolver. If the Navy grips are pre-war, I'll just keep those on thinking it may have been a wartime modification for someone who thought they offered a better grip than the smooth ones.

I've had the Navy and 1944 revolvers since my dad gave them to me in the late 1960s. I knew the lend lease history but never paid as much attention as I did to two .45s I had till I recently acquired this 1943. Happy I kept them now because they're weapons that have a pretty interesting history and firing me up about collecting again. I may even have to send the Navy off to get lettered.

Thanks again.

Kevin, thanks, I'm not opposed to posting the serial numbers, just was trying to follow some of the protocol I've noticed on here. I did see the data base postings were doing full numbers so in the interest of research I'll correct above.

Last edited by Silver King; 05-06-2012 at 10:01 PM.