View Single Post

Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,993 Times in 3,961 Posts

HammerDown, I wanted to click the "Like" button on your post, but I sure do not like what happened to your daughter, so it seems more appropriate to just say I agree with you and have a good thought that she completely recovers.

I now have a rule for myself that if my vehicle is moving, my cell phone is off. If I absolutely must make a call, I safely bring the vehicle to a stop first.

I have noticed that several posts extol the benefits of texting, as if some of us are so dense that we can't imagine that there must be at least some beneficial uses for texting. Please guys, that's a little insulting. We get it. Personally, however, I would bet that 99.9% of all texts are along the lines of what cute boy has the hots what cute girl, or the like. But if you text, you don't need to justify it to me. Just don't act like anybody who doesn't want to bother with texting must be an old dinosaur. And please text in a manner that is not dangerous or obstructive to others.

As for texting to get reference material, prices, etc, at a gun show table:
Once there was a thread by a guy who was upset that gun show dealer sold a gun "out from under him" while he was standing at the dealer's table, looking up information about the gun in the SCSW and consulting a friend he had with him. Most people here thought the gun show dealer acted appropriately, since from the dealer's point of view, this "buyer" was standing there blocking the table while reading a book and talking. Maybe texting / Kindle-ing / etc is "more discrete" but is it any less obstructive? DON'T BLOCK THE TABLE UNTIL YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT BUYING!