View Single Post

Old 05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
US Veteran

Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I won't repeat what's already been said.......my opinion is......

If S&W still had to handfit every single revolver, a new 686 for example, would cost double, if not more than it does now.

People poo poo the MIM process and many think that if it's not forged, it's junk. Ruger started casting frames and other parts in the early 1950's and still does to this day and those are some of the strongest and most durable revolvers in the world.

Colt used Sintered parts in their Mark III series and Colt collectors are still inhaling these guns for thousands of dollars, like the blued King Cobras.

There is nothing wrong with new S&W's, just that the internet allows every buyer of a new gun that's not perfect to instantly gripe on 20 different forums, and then 5 unsatisfied customers blow a small problem out of proportion to the point where it becomes "fact". It's a fact of modern production, even car makers turn out lemons that need warranty work, ask me how I know...............my $35,000 Dodge that I bought new off the lot had a faulty transmission mount from the factory, the dealer made it right for free, and I wasn't all over the Dodge forum saying what junk new Dodge cars are, I had it fixed and moved on............$35k vs. a $600 revolver is a pretty big difference

I have plenty of older S&W's with problems..........tight forcing cones, hitches in the action, etc. Some as old as the 1920's had issues that clearly came from the factory.Most were just fine, but no company is perfect 100% of the time, except maybe Korth where you pay $20,000 for a handbuilt, custom gun............ S&W was not a "golden palace" that turned out perfect guns all the time, and "now" they are junk..........the Bangor Punta era yeilded some real lemons. I own a few.
The Following User Likes This Post: