View Single Post

Old 05-10-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Question

So, if you were to properly describe this gun, what would you call it?? A pre-war long action M&P?? A 1905??

Thanks, Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburg View Post
Among the terms I don't like are pre=anything. It may be correctly used for guns in the 1950s. Anything earlier is just wrong. We've had this battle here before, but there are those who seem to like using it when other terms are much more descriptive. M&Ps were made for a long time. The prewar guns from the 1930s were gems, and its wrong to call them the mundane Pre-10s or whatever. K22s are either Outdoorsman's guns, pre-war Masterpieces/2nd models/k22-40s. The postwar guns are postwar masterpieces. About the early 1950s I"m comfortable with those who call them pre-17s. The list becomes nearly endless.

Maybe my views are partially influenced by my dislike of S&Ws numbering system, one which kind of randomly assigns numbers to identical guns with no differences but barrel length, then with others all lengths are the same model #. We as collectors then call things by names we prefer. Usually better than the factory came up with, but more confusing.

Maybe one of the greatest things we could do here on the forum is come up with a naming convention and then follow it.