View Single Post

Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM

Liked 761 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburg View Post
The fault of texting isn' the texting itsself, its where you do it. No one would care if the texter went to the bathroom or to the lunch area, got out of doorways and crowded aisles, or even just kept on moving. No one cares how you get carpel tunnel as long as you're not in the way of everyone else. But we know the self centered who text insist on doing it while being in the way. I guess so all the rest of us can see how cool they really are.

Years ago many gun show go-ers developed the art of jostling folks who just stand in the way, on purpose. Its not really bumping into them, but sometimes there is no other way to get around them. The worst offenders were wives of guys who wanted to look. They weren't interested enough to get out of the way and stand next to him and look too. They wanted him to get moving because they were bored. Often with kids. And sometimes with strollers, taking up the entire aisle. Those with particularly large bottoms really choked the flow of traffic. And they felt no remorse, feeling the problem was their hubby who paid $10 to get into the show and then refused to keep moving, instead actually looking at something. My guess is they also had a fear the guy might actually purchase something and there goes the next 5 pairs of shoes.

One of the past times of table holders is watching the crowd. Sure, we talk with each other, and also with the customers who stop to talk. But often you have from a minute to a half hour of dead time (then you get swamped for the next hour). Sad as it may seem, we only rarely get a good table location. We're out with the unwashed masses where the promoter feels good about squishing the tables together and leaving very small aisles to pass in. To him its money. But then the wife comes along an simply must stand directly behind him, causing unbelievable traffic snarls. Once in a while you hear a husband who's had enough of it tell his wifey to go stand by the door if she can't stay out of the way.

So now we have this new pestilence upon the land, texters. It was probably predictable that they'd exhibit the same skills in a crowded room they learned out on the interstates. The most important thing is ignoring all outside influences and pound the keys. No one else has any importance, and its their right to be in the way, unmoving. I see a clash coming in the future.

OGCA won't even allow folks to rest at the end of the aisles, the only place they leave adequate room to pass someone. At many of the shows they put someone in charge of the PA system who hates loitering. They actually demand no one stand along the front wall. I would guess they're afraid of hookers or muggers getting into the building. It results in them clogging the aisles where others want to move and see things.

In many restaurants a growing number of people want jammers so those super important folks can't talk at full volume during meals. Of course the talk is just chit-chat. But few of those have any idea they're broadcasting their little discussion to everyone for 20 or so feet in any direction. One time in a restaurant a girl was having a pretty personal talk with a girlfriend and said something pretty embarrassing. About half the place broke up laughing. When she realized we were laughing at her she got really mad. At least the texters are quiet in their rudeness.

At a huge show the size of OGCA, you get bumped maybe 20 to 30 times a day. I assume its not intentional, it just happens. On occasion you find a person who has less crowd walking skills than is normal. Those folks get bumped constantly and some get a little upset. Except they're the ones who move right in the way of a flowing stream of people. If the stream is flowing and you want to stop, step out of it! When you want back in, look first. If you're texting and take a step in any direction, expect to get bumped. If you're motionless, blocking some poor guys table, sooner or later a bona fide customer will want to look at something right in front of you. If you're not all consumed with the screen and looking, it might be different. But the texters are all just taking up space. Oh how I wish I had a portable jammer. One that would allow me to kill the signals of the idiot in front of me. Walking and on the road.
Ha-ha! Very eloquently and I might add, sardonically put, Dick

My real pet peeve are the self absorbed joggers, not the texters, though. They come up behind you on the sidewalk with enough traffic noise that it makes it impossible to hear their footfalls and don't have the courtesy to warn you. I took one to the ground a few years back he scared me so bad. I was walking down the road at night to check my boat and suddenly I hear heavy footfalls and panting, and almost feel this guy's breath on my neck. He didn't give me a wide berth and just about brushed me. I thought somebody was going to mug me. I grabbed and pivoted him on my left hip and pushed him down and cut his legs out from under him and he hit the pavement. Nothing but scratches. I was mad, he was mad, but I told him you need to realize that walkers on high traffic streets can't hear you coming up behind them, and that the sidewalks are not for their exclusive use, they must be shared with all pedestrians. God forbid it would take a few seconds off their jogging time to let a person know they are there. * This was awhile back, so it took some time to remember. I actually grabbed him by his "hoodie" and pushed my left hip out and his momentum carried him to the ground. I'm no martial artist and I'm somewhat clumsy, it just happened to work out. I felt bad but I was pumped and still scared and angry with him.
Just last week Gunny (my German Shepherd and avatar) and I were walking down the sidewalk of the road and state route bordering the river across from Harrisburg. When we entered the road from a side street I looked up and down the sidewalk both ways to see if there was anybody on the sidewalks. None. A minute later I just happened to glance back and there's a 30ish jogger about 30 yds. behind me. I got Gunny out of his path and gave a command to "wait". The guy goes by and nods thanks. I said back to him you need to let people know you are sneaking up on them, he shrugs and says "I have a dog, too"! I said it has nothing to do with the dog (even though he's very protective and may have attacked him being surprised that way) it's just common courtesy and you have to share the sidewalks.
When I used to bike and run a lot, I always let the pedestrians know I was coming up on them from behind. It seemed like common sense and common courtesy to do so.

Last edited by Malysh; 05-10-2012 at 09:46 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: