View Single Post

Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 AM
US Veteran
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Default .44 Special Stuff

Dan,

The original S series .44 Specials are very valuable today. The 5-screw ones go for $2,000+ if they are almost mint condition. Take that one to the range to test it with mild loads, for about 18
shots, then take it home to clean and oil it, then put it away.

Now, go out and buy a Mod. 624 (Stainless), which is an exact duplicate of your blue one. It came out in 1985. It has modern steel, and can take stiff loads, but don't try to equal a .44 Mag. You can get this one for about $450 in 99% condition at a gun show. If you scratch it, you can buff it out by hand. I bead-blasted mine to a soft satin look.

15 grains of 2400 (or an equivalent load) will be kind of hot at about 1100 fps, using a 240 gr. Gold Dot jacketed bullet, but it won't hurt your hand like a full-power .44 Mag. I have stopped using hot loads, and now use Unique or Herco for slightly milder loads (950-1,000 fps.)

Factory loads are quite wimpy, because those .44 Special loads were developed originally for the very old guns over 100 years ago, when smokeless powder started replacing black powder. That 2400 15gr. load is only safe in the modern guns.

Even the fairly modern Mod. 24 has not been heat-treated as strong as the Mod. 29, so don't take chances. Milder loads make your guns last longer, and are more fun to shoot.

Al Dash