View Single Post

Old 05-12-2012, 05:36 AM

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

Thanks everyone! Fantastic information!

Sounds like I won't need the small base dies unless my AR is tighter than I think it is.

Taper crimping sounds like the best option if any crimping is used. I'm not particularly thrilled with having two different crimping dies... but I like tools too.

I've never been impressed with case gauges for pistol ammo. The gauges I have may so no go, but the gun says good to go. So I usually just use the barrel to check case size. However, I'm willing to keep an open mind for rifle reloading. The Wilson case gauge also sounds like a good investment. I'll check it out.

Decapping is a step that I will have to do separately for crimped cases. I have a universal decapping tool for that and it works well with 30-06 military brass on the 1st reloading. So I also plan on using it for my .223/5.56 military brass. After that it is decap and size in one step.

I have looked at the Dillon decrimping tool and drooled over it. Maybe as more military surplus comes on the market it will be a good investment. Until then I'll try some less expensive alternatives.

My M1 was a big investment several years ago from the estate of a collector in the mid-west (1943 Springfield). I don't plan on doing anything to overstress it. Mid-range loads are my goal - good cycling, reasonable mv, 4895 and 150 gr bullets. My .30-06 Savage will meet all other requirements. Nor do I anticipate anything too hot for my son's M48.

I noticed that Lee makes a .233/5.56 3-die set with a full length resizer, bullet seater, and factory crimp die for a reasonable price. Anyone have experience with that? Though the RCBS X-dies do sound intriguing...

Again, thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge. It is one of the things that makes this forum such a great place.

Dan

Last edited by dazlin; 05-12-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: forgot signature