View Single Post

Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Liked 307 Times in 110 Posts

I can't disagree with the OP's premise. My first handgun was a 27 no dash, 6.5", given me by my dad for Christmas in 1966. The gun was manufactured in '58 and dad bought it a year or two later, but didn't use it much before giving it to me. Over the next several years that gun accounted for six deer, numerous gophers, and countless paper targets, cans, rocks and stumps (at very long range!). I still have it, but it resides in honored retirement.

The grips are not original to the gun. It came with magnas. I have big hands and wanted target grips, but anyone who was around in the late 60s and interested in guns will probably recall that S&W stuff, guns and accessories, were all pretty hard to come by. I found this old pair of Targets in a pawn shop, they were really beat, but I traded the magnas and $5 for them, then refinished them back then.

Later I became a devotee of the 19/66 as my favorite frame and best handling gun. I swear that the 2.5" 19/66s have a zen that is unique, and I can shoot them extremely well, but I love N-frames, and the 27 has a special place in my heart.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: