View Single Post

Old 05-14-2012, 05:13 PM

Liked 2,270 Times in 1,273 Posts

I bought the lee challenger kit, it gives you everything but the dies, shell holder, case prep tools and consumables ( powder, bullets and primers) in the last couple of years I have added some handier case preparation stuff, a digital scale. I used a black and decker workmate table opened it all the way up screwed two pieces of 1/2" or pretty close to it (well glued and screwed) and made a foldable loading bench. Including my 8mm Mauser Dies and my .223 dies I have under $250 in the whole set up. It probably takes me around 3 hours to load 100 rounds but I generally do it in stages and load 2 or 3 hundred at a time, prep and prime the cases and then load and seat the bullet and then do the final crimp. It actually turns into like 4 steps, you decap (take out the old primer) and resize the case. thats the most time consuming portion of it. then you prime your cases. then you load powder and bullets I do this as one step so my powder cant draw moisture then crimp. right now as I have it figured I am loading Hornady 55 gr V-Max for .25 a shot and Hornady Z-Max for .23 a shot if I bought my components in larger quantities I could get the per shot cost down. I am using Federal 5.56 Xm193 ammo cases from a bunch of that that I bought, I am using the latest and supposedly the greatest Hodgdons CFE223 powder and Hornady Bullets and CCI #41 5.56 primers. You can dang sure do it cheaper buy using regular primers and less expensive powders, but it is a part of shooting that is really cool, especially when your loads work and you watch them nail the bullseye. Sorry this was so long winded but I know that Crracer uses the same press for pistol rounds but those I dont load. Oh I have a Grafs Tumbler, after I decap and resize, I only size once, I put them in the dishwasher to remove most of the lube then I put them in the tumbler for a couple of two or three hours. I myself make reloading a two or three day thing but that is me.

Last edited by oneyeopn; 05-14-2012 at 05:26 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: