View Single Post

Old 05-14-2012, 05:30 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,533 Times in 6,024 Posts

The only generality I would make is that pretty much coincidental with the introduction of the lock in the ugly hole and MIM parts, S&W elegance tanked big time. Because MIM parts were pretty close, fit-wise, these parts were just assembled into guns with no regard for fitting. It was an economy move that worked after a fashion, but pride in manufacture was no more. The craftsmen of old were replaced by CNC machinery. Some really sloppy stuff started to come out, even through the custom shop, where they had some craftsmen who should know better.

For me, the "Golden Age" of S&W craftsmanship was in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s. The 80s products were mostly OK, but starting in the 90s - well forget about it. The modern Smith guns are generally functional, but just can't compare esthetically, and there is no careful fitting of parts. The old-time blue that you could swim in is no more, and nickel plating is not done on the scale or with the care that it once was.

The modern "classic" series sought to revive the look and feel of the older guns, but has for the most part failed miserably; the first thing I look at is that awful ugly hole above the cylinder release. It's like looking at an otherwise beautiful woman who has a big mole on her nose - the whole aura is spoiled irretrievably. I did get a classic Model 40-1, but ONLY because they omitted the lock. Classic ain't classic if you mess up the design with that damnable lock.

Look for something in excellent or better condition from the '20s through the '80s, and you won't go far wrong. I predict values on these guns will continue to escalate as more and more people begin to realize that unless something is turned around, the era of S&W elegance is no more.

John