View Single Post

Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Banned

Liked 1,190 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlake View Post
The ejected cases land in a very small area, 3-4 ft diameter circle, about 10 feet from the shooting position. The cases land to the right rear from where I am shooting- at about a 4 o'clock position if the muzzle was at 12 o'clock. I am shooting off a concrete bench rest using a padded blanket over the concrete with the rifle being rested on sandbags for stability.
Your buffer spring and ejector are working correctly. Some magazines are not happy feeders until broken in. Some just suck. As to the brass having scratches on the side of it, that is an ejector grabbing and pulling hard on the brass, as is the rim of the cartridge having a dent rather than a scuff.

My personal advice? Get a chamber brush, and slather it with some polishing compound. ( Automotive rubbing cxompound first.) Work the chamber well. Next, use a true polishing compound (Fine rubbing compound) Slather the chamber brushg with it, and again, work the chamber well.
The REASON: Melonite coating is very, very hard. Any machining grooves will be 'proud' after the treatment. Many, many rifgle chambers are not very polished. Of course, when you are manually working the bolt slowly, it is not an issue. This rings true for chrome lining also, but to a much lesser extent. The chrome tends to be slick by nature. If the machining was pretty good, the chrome is usually really slick in the chamber. Most are pretty smooth.
When i polish a chamber, I use a corless drill and chuck a single section of cleaning rod into the drill. I use a boat load of polishing compound, and I go SLOW. I do not spin 'er up and get it done quicker. Bad things happen..... 1/2 speed in low gear is about right. In and out gently, as it spins. You want to clean it up and just smooth out any rough edges inside....NOT polish it to the moon. Clean the chamber well between the 1st and 2nd polishing steps. Clean it well and lube it afterwards.
YES, you can do this with just 1 type of polishing compound. I recommend 2, but that is me.
NEVER use sandpaper in there.
For those who shoot a LOT, this type of extra cleaning will possibly need to be done every once in a while; say every 20,000 rounds or so. If you shoot steel (Wolf, Silver Bear, etc) you will maybe need to do this about every 12,000 or so.
After a polish job, most chambers will never need it again.
My Sport had no issue from the get go, but it did argue after 5,500 rounds. One polish job, and it's golden. 99% Wolf ammo.
My DPMS was just like your rifle at first. After 300 rounds, and some frustration, I polished it. 6,500 later...... still perfect.

Do NOT lube up mags. They will gall inside as they collect powder residue and dust. (Especially plastic type Pmags, etc. They are GREAT right out of the box. Don't ruin them prematurely.)

Last edited by rojodiablo; 05-14-2012 at 11:42 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: