View Single Post

Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 AM

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
I'm sorry but doing that to the spring will increase the rate of the spring not lessen it. See the formula for coil spring rate if you don't believe me. This is something automotive people seem to know but most don't have a real clue. And it does not matter what the coil spring is on, whether a gun, car, or ballpoint pen. The formula itself is just an explanation of what you get with a coil spring tester.
If the FP has a retaining pin then what I said does not apply. The force of the spring has little or no effect on light strikes if the FP has a travel limit. It can't do anymore regardless of the spring. The only way to cure light strikes is to increase the length of the FP travel and the only way to do that is to increase the length of the FP retaining pin slot by a few thousands in the rear. However you have to limit corrections so that the FP can't go forward enough to peen the breech of the gun or it will be damaged by dryfiring.
If the FP has enough travel then to reduce the spring tension you must come up with a spring with the same dimensions but MORE coils not less in the same free length so as to keep the preload the same if it is compressed.
Do I understand you to say then that the firing pin in our rifles, if left stock, will not contact the breech face during dry firing if the slot is not lengthened? Therefore no harm in dry firing?

Steve