View Single Post

Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 PM

Liked 1,185 Times in 453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbraswell View Post
Well, just to be real about it. All of this doomsday scenario is just a bunch of hoodoo. Name any place where this has happened. It's going to happen in a lot of places before it happens here. And like anywhere else that's had great disasters, the good in people comes out when people need it most. Just hope that Ray Nagin isn't running the show.
Ray Nagin's performance was, to be tactful, dismal -- I would use a pejorative but don't want to get dinged. I was in New Orleans on military duty for Katrina from Sunday afternoon as the storm approached NOLA until 2 weeks after -- I saw the best of human behavior and the worst of human behavior. I was at the Superdome on duty and the Convention Center --
helping stabilize the situation, rescue folks and keep the peace -- never dreamed that I would end up in a history book, but my efforts/observations in New Orleans during Katrina are recounted in Douglas Brinkley's "The Great Deluge" which was a NY Times bestseller -- it is worth reading for anyone who has posted to this thread who wonders what it would be like to be part of a massive natural diaster -- the hunt for food, water, security, etc -- a riveting read. The book starts out with how the New Orleans SPCA moved all of it's shelter pets to Houston on the Wed-Thursday before the storm hit, contrasting that with Nagin (the corrollary here is of Nero fiddling while Rome burned) who did not order the evacuation of people from New Orleans until late Saturday -- you will enjoy this book. And if you send me your copy, I'll autograph my picture that is in the book.