View Single Post

Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 AM

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
You don't need to spend a fortune to get into reloading, I know alot of guys might cringe when they read this but I really love using Lee equipment. I have a Lee Challenger press, Lee dies, I have an RCBS scale, a Lyman case trimmer and a few other basic things, but for about $300 you can get up and running. I have loaded untold hundreds of rounds of .38 Special and .357, alot of .45 Colt and then .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special and .22 Hornet, all on a $60 press with dies that cost $25 for a set. If you get the Lee .38/.357 dies get the set of four with the separate crimp die, trust me its easier.

I also like the Lee stuff. I have had great luck with their stuff and it does the job just fine. I use the Classic Turret Press. You can use it as a single stage or progressive. Yes rifle is a bit more labor than pistol but like was stated before it's a hobby. I also load for accuracy. Yes I save 10 to 15 cents a round. Now that is the cheap brass store bought stuff. If you shoot steel case it's much less, a few cents. You can load using better components and save that from the off the shelf stuff. I am still in the process of tuning my load but I can say already, open sights, I have cut my groups in half using hand loads over store bought. I don't count my time I enjoy it. Truthfully it will take you a long time to "save" money reloading. Even with modest equipment at 15 cents a round it will take a while unless you go through hundreds of rounds every time you go out. Remember even at a hundred round you saved only 15 bucks. Anyway it's fun. If your reloading just to plink then buy your ammo and give me the brass. LOL

Last edited by thumbs; 05-17-2012 at 12:33 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: