View Single Post

Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 PM

Liked 663 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyeopn View Post
See Bill has a system, I wish I lived closer to Bill or Rod so I could have learned from someone who has done it longer than I.
That's funny since I've just started reloading necked cartridges. I'm just doing all that I can to keep my Sport from exploding at the range. haha

Stav,
For tumbling media I've been using reptile cage litter. Specifically, Zilla crushed walnut desert blend. The consistency is almost like cornmeal so it's small enough to get into the 223 neck and primer pocket without getting stuck in the neck or primer hole. I've tumbled about 1000 223 cases in it without ever finding a single plugged primer hole.

I tried using crushed corncob (also pet cage litter) which worked fine for cleaning 44 mag cases, but it would get wedged inside a 223 neck to the point where I needed a nail to dig the pieces out.

I used to buy treated tumbler media which was essentially crushed walnut shells with jewelers rouge mixed in, but adding in a couple of table spoonfuls of NuFinish car polish into the Zilla media gives me bright and shiny brass...makes me feel like I'm loading my Sport with expensive hunting rounds. hahaha