View Single Post

Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 AM

Liked 6,774 Times in 1,312 Posts

My grandfather carried a BAR when he was in the 82nd Airborne. He was "nominated" during his training in Florida because as the Lieutenant was explaining how to clean and break down the BAR my grandfather stated he could do it in one less step, and was ordered to demonstrate. Well after my grandfather did he was told to make sure everyone else could do it to, and was given the BAR. Even though he was little, only 5'2" he was tough having been an ex-boxer and was in great shape. He told me right before he jumped out of the plane on D-Day he took the bi-pod off the BAR and tossed it right out of the door of the C-47, and his CO wondered what he was doing, my grandfather told him he wasn't going to be any more of a target for the German's than necessary.
He also told me one time where they were opening up on a German column and their Browning .30 cal had broken so he had two guys behind him loading BAR mags while he did the firing to the point where they set the stock on fire and turned the barrel cherry red. If I recall he had to get another barrel afterwards.