View Single Post

Old 05-27-2012, 01:00 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,743 Times in 2,526 Posts
Default Still More Favorites

S&W Model 638. Goes into my pocket when I leave the house in the evening. Sometimes I wear the lightly modified Galco cross draw holster instead of pocketing it. Loaded with Speer 'short barrel' 38 Gold Dots. Has smooth Spegel grips as the checkering would be painful when the light gun comes back hard with service loads. Gets shot a lot with Keith type SWCs out in the desert.

Astra 903. Nazi gun, probably from the Naval Infantry at Cherbourg in WW II. Shot over 2500 rounds, mostly full auto with cast bullets. Gave me an appreciation of what full auto will do and what it will not do.

Ruger Security Six, six inch barrel in 357, Hogue grips. Bought it instead of a S&W when Smith was making one of its unfortunate forays into 'gun control'. My carry gun out in the desert. It's probably been 300 miles on my side in that El Paso Saddlery Tom Threepersons holster, and it's been in and out of it about 1000 times as I practiced close, fast shooting. Lots of blue wear, but it's still tight and accurate. I carry it sighted in for 100 yards to give stand-off when out in the desert.

Colt M4 carbine with Aimpoint sight. It's the rifle in my 'bug-out' bag, probably the best rifle for that niche. Surprisingly accurate: 10 shot groups off a bench with scope just over one inch. Reliable, too. I'm planning an expedition to an old cavalry fort out in the desert, a little too close to the border for comfort. This will be on my shoulder and the Ruger on my belt. What am I afraid of? Not too much.

Feinwrkbau Model 300 air rifle and Model 65 air pistol. I can get about 18 yards range from my utility room to the back of the garage where I hang my styrofoam block of a target holder; plenty of space to hone my meagre off hand and pistol shooting skills when it's cold, hot, wet or windy outside. the rifle is heavy and very friendly; but the pistol with its light barrel will really tell you when you pull a shot for some reason.

It hurts to think about the 'favorites' I've sold over the years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1010976.jpg (41.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg L1010978.jpg (63.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg L1010981.jpg (83.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00253.jpg (70.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg L1010983.jpg (74.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Cyrano; 05-27-2012 at 01:08 PM.