View Single Post

Old 05-28-2012, 01:39 AM

Liked 565 Times in 234 Posts
Default Ghost pepper deviled eggs

Howdy,
Just getting ready for tomorrow's barbecue. I have been putting the "Devil" in the deviled eggs for the last couple of years. People will love em' or hate em'.
If you have ghost peppers and wonder what to do with them you might try these.

Cover a dozen eggs in cold water, about 2" over the top of the eggs.
Bring to a boil, turn off heat and cover. Let sit for ten minutes.
After the ten minutes I transfer the eggs to a clean sink full of cold water and let stand for another ten or fifteen minutes. I crack and peel them under the cold water.
Halve the eggs and put the yolks in a mixing bowl. I add about 4-5 big table spoons of mayo and two tablespoons of Plochman's yellow mustard. 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt and whip it all together until smooth. If it is a little thick you can add a little white wine to thin it out.
Now I pull half the mixture, put it in a sandwich bag, cut the corner off it and squeeze it in to twelve egg halves for normal people. If I have any of the plain mixture left I add it back to the rest.
Next I have a bottled verde sauce from Sam's. I add about two tablespoons of that to the mixture.
Next I take the ghost peppers. (I freeze mine quartered) I get a couple of pieces w/seeds and membrane about 1/2" square each or a little more and dice the dickens out of them to about the size of the period at the end of this sentence.
Mix this in with the verde and yolk mixture until smooth.
Put this in a fresh sandwich bag and nip the corner off the bag and pipe the mixture into the remaining egg halves.
Next I take and cube up some hard Volpi salami (not slices) or cook some thick cut bacon and put a piece in each egg. Just stick it in the filling. It will tell which eggs are hot or normal.
It makes a person chew a little and appreciate the mixture.
Sprinkle with cayenne or paprika for garish and chill.
If you don't like hot stuff don't bother with this.
If you do, give it a try.
Goes great with ribs, burgers, brats and the beverage of your choice.
Enjoy!
Mike

Last edited by mstuhr; 05-28-2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: brain quit