View Single Post

Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADKNOCKER View Post
Dick Burg has a Nickeled one with a lower number but never got the ship date etc from him, he brought it to a Gunshow one weekend to show me & David Carrol..

I don't know how I missed this thread (even though I posted to it later on). Yes, I've got an early nickel one #157. I bought it maybe in 1999 at a tiny out of the way gun show. I was on my way home from a convention (dull) and used my GPS to guide me cross country, through the National Forest. Yes, I was in my Jeep and needed it. At the show a vendor had it sitting there, wanting too much for it ($500). But I did end up buying it.

When I got to the town, I had no idea where they'd hold a gun show. So driving along the main street I saw a ratty old Blazer parked at a gas pump. It had "camo" paint, a bunch of leaves painted on the side with the main color primer grey. Knowing my hilbillies pretty well, I pulled in and asked the guy where the gun show was. He gave me a funny look and said "there's a gun show in town today?" Yep. So he yelled "follow me", and off we went to the arena.

So during a particularly weak period in my finances, I lettered it. What a terrible mistake. It even helped me come to the conclusion that postwar guns aren't worth the effort or money. It letters as "Open on Company records". Whatever that means. Probably a lunch box gun, or a salesman's sample lifted without paperwork.

Its clearly been carried some, but not worn down or worn out. It just fit my buying style long ago. Something I didn't need or really want, but it did have a low serial #. Since then someone here has and posted an even lower number. Lost to eternity. It did come from either Hazard or Harlan. Nice little towns where guns outnumber people and where you don't sell off your guns very often. Mountain towns where you mind your own business and leave others alone. They carry guns, too. Probably more folks carrying than not. They worried when the CCW law passed, afraid they'd get billed for prior years!

Last edited by rburg; 06-06-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: to add in another paragraph for no good reason