View Single Post

Old 06-09-2012, 12:55 AM

Liked 16,954 Times in 3,892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310Pilot View Post
I don't have any experience with the current or recent production guns, but when they first came out (1970s, IIRC), I ordered one of the early production 1927A-1 deluxe guns, along with two 50-round drums and several stick mags. I still have it. It is a beautifully made gun, with excellent machining, close attention to detail, nice wood and excellent bluing. At first, we had a few problems insofar as reliability was concerned; however, we replaced some of the springs with a kit from an aftermarket manufacturer (can't remember who, anymore), and it ran like a top from then on. The only recurring problem was ears breaking in some of the early drums, replaced several. I bought some later drums (now probably 30 years old or so), cured that problem. Original Thompson stick mags (surplus) must be slightly modified to work in a 27A-1, just involves modifying a cut in the mag (enlarging it) or cutting a new slot, don't remember which. The manufacturer has changed hands a few times since then, don't know much about the current guns, but my old one is still a beaut! BTW, even back in the day, the people at the factory recommended NOT buying a 100-round drum - I called them to order one, and they said they just plain don't work, stay away from them, use 50-round drums.

They are fun to shoot, and it really impresses the neighbors when you walk in from your car bracing it on your hip! They are very heavy, though. Have fun with your soon-to-be new toy!
Thanks! FYI, the brand is owned by Kahr now, and the M1SB will not accept the drum magazines...sticks only.

I found a video on Youtube of a guy firing a new M1SB...from what I could see, it looked very nice, and he was singing its praises as an accurate, well-made, and reliable gun.

Your comment about impressing the neighbors reminded me of something. I knew a guy back in the '70s who was a Maryland State Trooper, in the days when they could carry pretty much what they wanted as backup weapons in their cars. He worked in what was then a rural area, and carried a semi-auto Thompson...he told me just the sight of it discouraged a lot of mischief! :-)

I'm not absolutely certain I'm going to do this, but it is something I've thought about over the years, and I'm fortunate to be in a position (kids grown, on my own, nobody to answer to but myself) to buy it if I want it.

Think I'll call some dealers tomorrow and see what the transfer would involve... :-)
The Following User Likes This Post: