View Single Post

Old 06-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Liked 4,878 Times in 1,398 Posts
Default Semi auto Thompson

I lusted after one for many years. My dad carried the 1927 model in the So. Pacific during WW II and had nothing but praise for the weapon. He was carrying a Garand when wounded and it was cut in half by a heavy Nambu MG. He said he had swapped off to lead an assault on a pill box because "you can't get close enough to the ground with a drum magazine on a Thompson.

Well, I finally found a deal on an older Auto Ordinance M1 (stick mag only) model that I couldn't pass up! It came with one 30 rd. mag. An original 5 cell mag pouch for 20 rd mags was located and I ordered and modified 5 20 rd mags to fit.

My Thompson runs great! At 50 yds, I can keep all shots in the black on an SR1 repair center and on the B1 silhouette, it is deadly!
At 100 yds, center mass shots on silhouettes are the order of the day.

Yes, it is heavy but, you can empty a mag as fast as you can pull the trigger and keep the shots on paper at 25 and 50 yds. The walnut stocks on my M1 have nice figure in the wood.

Mine has the 16" (16.5") barrel and while the 10.5 inch is really cool, I would rather buy more bullets, primers and powder to keep mine running. With an appropriate HP bullet, I may try to take a doe with it next hunting season. I have a deer stand the routinely presents 20 to 50 yds shot opportunities.

Buy one for the same reason that you have your bike, because it is fun and life is to short. I wish my dad was still alive to shoot it with me!

In memory: James D. Lane, Sgt., 32nd Inf. Div., Co E, post war: DDS, MD & Dad!

Last edited by jdlii; 06-09-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
The Following 6 Users Like Post: