View Single Post

Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 AM

Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Talking 45 Caliber Shield??

I doubt that S&W would go down this path (but I can only hope)....

But, sitting here in my office -- I decided to see how well 45 GAP ammo would fit into the magazine for my Shield 40.

6 rds of 45 GAP fits nicely into the 7 rd 40 S&W Magazine -- likewise 5 rds fits nicely into the 6 rd Magazine.

The magazine body is wide enough to handle the 45 GAP cartridge, only the taper and feed lips at the top of the magazine would need alteration.

A 45 GAP Shield would be an awesome back-up option for LEOs who carry the Glock 37, being much slimmer and lighther than the G39.

Here's a pic of the 45 GAP 200gr Gold Dots next to a 7 rd Shield 40 magazine:

Here's a pic showing that the 45 GAP cartridge has ample room to fit into the Shield 40 magazine - the cartridge outside the magazine is a 40 S&W for comparison. The indentions on the sides of the magazine would need to be lessened, and the taper and feed lips at the top of the magazine would need to be slightly enlarged:

Given that the 45 GAP's maximum SAAMI pressure of 23,000 psi is well below the 40 S&W's maximum SAAMI pressure of 35,000 psi -- I am left to conclude that the safety of a 45 GAP Shield is definitely acceptable -- and I expect the lower pressure would offset the higher bullet weight to create a similar shooting characteristic (comfortable and controllable).

In a shield-sized platform, the 45 GAP is everything that a 45 ACP would be. Therefore, I believe a 45 GAP S&W Shield could certainly compete in the marketplace against the Springfield XD-S in the venerable 45 ACP. 45 GAP ammo is more plentiful and price-comparable to 45 ACP (actually less expensive from Georgia Arms) now that 10% of the State Law Enforcement Agencies have adopted the cartridge for their duty weapons.

I know that I am not the only non-LEO who likes the 45 GAP cartridge -- and carries either a G38 or G39 as a CCW...

I'd buy a 45 GAP Shield today -- if S&W would make one! Anyone else interested??
The Following 3 Users Like Post: