View Single Post

Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 PM

Liked 641 Times in 283 Posts

Pastprime, the stocks on your 19-2 are what is commonly referred to as having the "football cut-out" which was designed to allow clearance for the extractor to clear fired cases from the cylinder. The prior design had no clearance cutout and tended to hinder clean ejection of fired cases. Your type stocks were introduced prior to and just at the beginning of the introduction of HKS and several similar speedloader designs. Since they weren't specifically designed for speedloader use the problem you have experienced is quite common. When the loaders first came on the market many shooters, especially LEO's I knew, would remove additional material from the stock so speedloaders would
clear. Of course, at the time, we didn't know that the football stocks would one day be valued by collectors and such action would be viewed
as sacrilige. Later production production stocks around 1980 or so came with a proper speedloader cutout designed for that purpose. As the stocks on your 19-2 are the correct design which would have originally come on your revolver I would definitely not advise altering them in any way.

As far as other speedloaders that might provide adequate clearance with your orignal stocks, you might try one of the Safariland models, however I am not confident they would work either. Of course, there are the speed strips sold by Bianchi and others that although faster than loading by hand, are somewhat slower than speedloaders. Another possibility might be to obtain a pair of the newer S&W stocks with the cutout, or even the smaller magna factory grips for range and/or carry use and save the originals for "show."

Please pardon my lengthy reply but I have never been able to make a long story short! Hope this helps and others here may be able to offer
additional suggestions.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: