View Single Post

Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,744 Times in 2,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneboy View Post
YES, old timers don`t like any thing different, BUT the full length g.r. puts weight out front witch helps you gets back on point faster + on older guns with looser slide to frame fit they help smooth out recoil. half a million rnds through 1911s I ain`t guessing -I know. No offense to the they didn`t build them that way in the old days Guys. But things change. we grow and learn. we must open our minds to things that scare us ;D
I must respectfully disagree. The .45 ACP is not so recoil intensive that extra weight is needed for control.

Knowledge of how to properly hold the weapon with the push pull of isometric tension will tame the recoil just fine. Jack Weaver, Jeff Cooper, Elden Carl, John Plahn, Thell Reed and Ray Chapman all figured this out in the 50s, which is 60 years ago or therabouts.

Things do change. We now shoot with two hands on the pistol and we control recoil not with heavy guide rods, reduced loads or compensators. We control the recoil of a full power load - a fight stopping load - with knowledge. Knowledge that has been freely available to everyone since the early 50s - the 1950s, I mean.