View Single Post

Old 06-29-2012, 05:40 PM

Liked 161 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo View Post
I'm not sure that I would entirely agree with this statement either. A good example would be the Grizzly Xtreme ammunition. ( Grizzly Xtreme)

While it's a solid copper round like the Barnes X bullets, it maintains it's fully expanded diameter after penetration, causing massive deceleration and underpenetration. On the other hand, the Barnes X does not maintain full expanded diameter and the petals fold back, reducing the drag profile and increasing the depth of penetration.
Please note that I said "a good bullet". That means a bullet that meets and exceeds FBI and IWBA specs. That Grizzly bullets looks like it was designed for those willing to accept expansion over penetration.

Quote:
The only way I could think of maintaining the diameter of full expansion without reducing penetration is to reduce the diameter of the fully expanded round?
Good JHPs do not open like that Grizzly and then peel back towards the base. The peel from the beginning of expansion.

What you are seeing between 2-7 inches in gel penetration is not the crush cavity of the bullet, but temporary stretch cavity. In living flesh the TSC is temporary do to the elasticity of human flesh. In gel it stays because it isnt living.