Thread: 1911 pro in 9mm
View Single Post

Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,285 Times in 4,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstercatcher View Post
Why is there nothing about 1911 pro in 9mm?...

Any input would be great.
Probably because they are not easy to find - at least one wasn't easy to find for me.

I have one of the newer ones with adjustable sights. If you want to read about them, our member WC145 did a few threads on his gun when he got it a year or two ago. If you know how to search, you should be able to find some info that might be interesting to you in his writings.

My own gun is relatively new and has not given any trouble, as far as function. It hasn't bobbled yet, but I have mostly fired inexpensive factory FMJ-RN ammo. (Magtech, American Eagle, WWB, etc.) I have been testing it for accuracy, and it has followed the results I expected when I checked the fitting of the barrel. In the case of my gun, it could be better.

On the other hand, the gun does shoot one of my handloads well enough to consider it a solid notch above "usuable." The handload uses the Remington 124gr JHP (not the brass-jacketed one) and HS-6 powder. It is the only of ammunition I have had any success with, so far. I intend to try lead, and the heavier jacketed bullets, soon.

I can't say I am pleased with the fitting of the barrel on this pistol. I expected better. I also dislike the goofy S&W practice of fitting blued small parts on stainless guns, but they have done that for years. Makes no sense because these parts need protection from corrosion when the gun is in use, but I am sure they think of it as a cosmetic sales-getter. I would prefer all stainless parts. I can do without the jazziness of the contrasting parts.

On the other hand, there are lot of things to like about the gun. In fact, I like it well enough that I may consider putting a new barrel in it if I cannot get it to shoot better with other ammo. And that is saying a bit.

Last edited by M29since14; 07-02-2012 at 10:49 AM.