Thread: .45-70 loads
View Single Post

Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 PM

Liked 389 Times in 225 Posts

I'm not sure what you want to know exactly, but I put XS sights on my 1895GS. This is an aperture rear with their post front that has a white line. This arrangement is far superior to what is installed at the factory. The front sight is very easy to see in low light and I have used it to bag a couple of whitetails under these circumstances.

Do you want to load cast or jacketed bullets? I NEVER bother with 300 gr. bullets or jacketed bullets of any kind. My big game loads start at 405 grs. and go up to 460 grs., though I have loaded 500+ gr. bullets for a friend. Nowadays I pretty much use only molds from Lee and RCBS which cast 405 and 425 gr. bullets. The 460 gr. LBT bullets that I bought from the Bargain Cave at Cabela's (back when they actually sold such bullets) are reserved for special purposes.

On the lighter side, I also cast a .457" round ball which will shoot one hole groups at 25 yards with 10 or so grs. of 231. Cast revolver bullets meant for the .45 Colt also shoot extremely well, in both .452" and .454" diameters and weights from 200 to 255 grs.

The 1895 is incredibly versatile. It can handle anything from an enraged chipmunk to a charging elephant. Just the other day I was looking at some of the targets I have shot over the years with it and I'm always amazed by the tiny groups it shoots with practically every bullet that will fit into the case. Most of these use bullets that I have cast myself without expensive gas checks. You will be amazed once you start handloading for your rifle.

Dave Sinko