View Single Post

Old 07-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Liked 4,315 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
I second that.

I have Truglo TFO sights that combine fiber optic with tritium and they are FANTASTIC.
I have to disagree with that assesment. I have the Tru Glow TFO's on an XDM and had high hopes that they would be more visible at the indoor ranges that I shoot at. That is not the case, they are in fact LESS visible than the standard 3 dot sights that my XDm was sold with. The problem is that none of the indoor ranges in my area have overhead lighting in the booths, so there is nothing for the fibre optics to work with.

I also have 2 Sig Sauer semi's that came with Meprolight night sights from the factory. A small bit of good news about these particular sights is that there is a reflective white ring surrounding the tritium vials. As a result at the range that has the area behind the firing line brightly lit I can actually see the dots in the sights. However, that doesn't word at the 2 other local ranges that don't have a lot of lighting behind the firing line.

So, what works the best for this age challenged Old Fart. Reflex sights are truly fantastic for indoor ranges but you can become dependent on them. For an iron sight what works the best for me is 3 BIG WHITE DOTS. Those I can see in a wide range of lighting. A very close second is a gold bead Patridge front sight but this setup leaves the rear sight on my 625 invisible.

Now for an old farts opinion on Night Sights. Like I stated earlier I have 2 Sig Sauers that came equipped with night sights and have those TFO's on my XDm. In spite of this I think that Night Sights are pretty much a worthless gimmick. The problem is that I cannot focus on handgun sights anymore in moderate lighting and in the dark I'm nearly blind to small detail at distances under 6 feet. So, when it's dark enough for night sights to be visible I can't see them clearly enough for them to be of any use. Knowing this, and having a distinct loathing for stubbed toes, I keep a couple of CFL bulbs burning 24/7. What I'm saying here is that night sights are a waste of money once your eyes get to the point where you can't see them.
The Following User Likes This Post: