View Single Post

Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 817 Times in 116 Posts

I am pasting this from another thread on USAF M15's, so I would not have to retype it!

I wanted to comment on the origin of M15's in civilian hands. It seems to be "accepted" among collectors that there have been no surplus sales of any handguns since the 60's, but I can tell you for a fact that this prohibition was not followed uniformly by the services. In the early 80's, a fairly large number of USAF surplus revolvers were sold by Warner-Robbins Air Logistics Center in Georgia. I do not know the exact date, but I did buy two like new S&W Victory models from an FFL dealer who had about two dozen Victory Models for sale from that surplus lot. He told me he had a few Model 15's as well, but they had sold out within days of him offering them for sale. He had obtained them from a distributor that had bid and won the entire lot sold by the USAF. He had some copies of release paperwork from the distributor, but at that time I was not a "collector" so to speak, I just liked the nice looking Victory models he had. The Victory's did not carry USAF markings, one I bought was US Navy marked on the top strap, the other a standard US Property marked. I really wish I had found him before the M15's had sold out.