View Single Post

Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 PM

Liked 189 Times in 79 Posts
Default royal oak charcoal

cant seem to get it to burn right. couple of weeks ago i had leftover bag of kingsford so i used that in my chimney to get going . same as always , get it red hot and burning good , dumped chimney full in grill and put some royal oak on top . left it for about a few min. ( same method i have used dozens of times ) thought i was rolling along and the coals seemed to be building , so i put the meat on . later in the middle of the cook time , the top layer of royal oak had only partly lit and burned very weak and slow .
last week end i had only royal oak and used it in the chimney as the starter and added to grill to cook with same method and results.
the only thing i can figure is the bag says " do not cover flaming brickets with grill lid " soooo...... is one to cook with royal oak with the lid of the grill OFF ?? or maybe leave the lid off longer after the unlit coals are added to get the whole bunch burning at a greater intensity ? !

i am pretty sure it is my method that is lacking because my neighbor has royal oak from the same batch and has has normal success at grilling using it . only difference is he uses some sort of electric wand to get his fire going ...... guess i am just spoiled by kingsford but i NEVER had this problem before . the kingsford starts easier , burns a good long time , and the food tastes great .
set me straight .... those who know what i am doing wrong and and all who use royal oak brand
thanks ! rock