View Single Post

Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,837 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelCD View Post
Hodgdon's current load data lists a Max charge of W231 under a 158gr SWC as 5.0gr in a .357 Magnum. The pressure they report is not even a hot standard pressure .38 Special load. Older sources list a charge range of 6.0gr to 6.7gr W231 under a 158gr SWC. The Max charge of 6.7gr might be a little on the hot side so I would work up from 6.0gr slowly.

Sorry I don't have first hand W231 .357 Magnum data because I use HS-6 when I want middle hot lead magnum loads instead of W231. I see no reason to use W231 though if that's what you have.
There is something peculiar about Hodgdon's data for W231 under a 200gr LSWC for both .38 Special and .357 Magnum. The COAL listed is significantly shorter than other published data. If you look at Hornady data for their very soft, swaged LSWC, the max appears to be based on keeping velocity below the point of bad leading rather than excessive pressure. The introductory text in my Hornady manual is fairly explicit about the velocity limits for their LSWC. Given the pressures show in the Hodgdon's data I'm guessing that they are using the same approach.